Thursday, October 20, 2011

Church and Farm


From the title of this blog post, it may sound that I moved from the metropolis of LA to some rural area in Ohio. (But if it was Ohio, I would probably mention lions, tigers, and bears and the complete ineptitude of law enforcement to save the lives of those poor animals. People are dumb.) Then Vivs, G and I went to a judge who spoke on the death penalty at a speaker event hosted by the Criminal Law Society. Let's just say our politics and the judge's politics most definitely do not align, especially when he referred to some witnesses as being "the dregs of society." Yeah, not a fan. Moving on from my rant and my anger and sadness, which I will hold on for a long time, and despite the awful news from this week, the last few days have been personally less stressful than last week. I've been feeling under the weather, but with my herbal tea and 13 hours of sleep a night, I think I'm staving off (for the most part) my cold. And I've had some great food this week.

On Tuesday, Veronica took me to Church & State, where we ordered lavender honey goat cheese Le Chachat and a tarte with figs, caramelized onions and more goat cheese, and finished off with steak and frites with bearnaise sauce. So delicious, so rich, so amazing. If you read my blog, you know that I am obsessed with a) lavender and b) figs. Very rarely do American restaurants really utilize these ingredients so it was a wonderful surprise :-) Church & State is off of Industrial St., which is in the middle of nowhere, and is in this gorgeous, renovated brick building with ethereal ambient lighting. The service is tremendous, a lovely maitre d' even asked us if we needed to be walked to our car. GO HERE. (It's a perfect date place.) And it was perfection to see Veronica. We have been meaning to see each other for weeks and I am so grateful that we got to sit down for a couple of hours and catch up. I am very lucky to have such a positive person in my life :-) (photo c/o their website.)



Then tonight, Vivs, G, and I decided to take an hour or so and have dinner together at The Farm at LA LIVE.
We haven't actually done anything solely socially together since, uh, law school started. So anyway, we toddled over there after class and inhaled the cornbread appetizer as we watched preteens in neon high-top Reeboks saunter to the Chris Brown concert.

Vivs and I split a goat cheese salad, which had a couple of crostinis with olive tapenade, caramelized onions and tomato pesto as well as crispy goat cheese and a green salad. And as if that weren't enough, we indulged in truffled Mac and Cheese. Generally, I hesitate when ordering simple pasta dishes because, like, I can make them at home, from a box. But this dish changed my life. At $4, it was GREAT. And made my drive home in traffic much more tolerable (as did my soy PSL.) <3 my girls.


Then I came home to sugar cookies stuffed with fig jam. I can feel my arteries clogging, but since I'm sick, I'm just going to relish the fact that I can still taste and that I've lucky enough to have such legit dining experiences this week.

Tomorrow is a bright and early day for the LGBT symposium, which I will debrief you all on later. Until then,
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...