Sunday, July 28, 2013

Bruges + Brussels

So whenever I said I was going to Brussels, peeps be like "Have you seen In Bruges?" No, I still haven't BUT now I can say, I have seen Bruges. AND I reunited with Elisa, my old friend from London. (Saying "old" makes me feel ancient, but two years ago is far too long to go without seeing this girl.)

So first things first, Elisa and I met in our Foundations of Health Policy class at LSE. We were the only people under 72 in the class so we became fast friends. Now Elisa is living in Utrecht and I'm in LA and we havent seen one another in ages. So Elisa met me in Bruges and then came to Brussels for the evening and today.

So yesterday morning when I woke up to skype Evan, there was the fiercest, loudest thunderstorm ever and the idea of navigating a new city, even with Elisa, seemed a bit, well, awful. But the minute I got there and met her, we had sunshine, 75 degree weather with a slight cooling breeze. We had lunch in a gorgeous square, coffee in another gorgeous square, a nap near a canal, and dinner at yet another gorgeous square. The cobblestone streets, the afternoon glow, the slow, easy place of the residents and tourists, the brick and stonework, the pretty canals, and the trafficless streets were ridiculously relaxing. Also we tried the local beer, Brugse Zot, which is a refreshing golden ale that I actually enjoyed. I'm going to see if I can get it in the states.

Elisa and I managed to get home before a terrible storm and woke up this morning for a jaunt to the market and brunch at Potemkine, this lovely gallery, cinema, bar, cafe, restaurant place that I've been wanting to try. We had coffee, mint tea, grapefruit juice, pain au chocolat, smoked salmon bread, parma and fruit, chickpea salad, etc. Yum. Definitely going back.

It was amazing how easily Elisa and I fell back into our conversation and stories and similar sense of humor and wavelength. I'm so happy I got to see her and it can't be another two years before I see her - so I think she should plan a trip to LA asap :)

Almaz is coming over for tea so gots to go

xx











No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...