Sunday, July 14, 2013

First 36 Hours in Brussels

Hello my darlings -

My last day has been phenomenal.

I arrived yesterday morning to my new place and Matheus was home to greet me. We had breakfast of yogurt, kiwi and raspberry-chocolate muesli, and listened to the Beatles Abbey Road record. (Matheus and I have very similar taste in music).



Afterwards, we walked to the market in Saint-Gilles. It's amazing: fresh fruit and veg, cheese, dried goods, flowers, even clothes. It's open during the afternoons on the weekends and in the morning during the week. I have a feeling it will be my morning stop since I don't start work until 10 :-) We stopped for a coffee, which then turned into sampling the resident standard beer, Jupiter, and a shrimp and avo salad. We then visited Matheus' 87 year old aunt who is hilarious and friendly and offered us Campari and orange juice while very animatedly discussing international politics.


Later I took a nap (damn jetlag) and skyped Sophie and my mom. I met Matheus and his friends later at Stam Eat and Drink. Two musicians performed favorite hits, including the talking heads and abba. We had cheeseburgers and more beer before heading to a bar that was playing 80s and 90s music. We had a large group - maybe 10 - lots of Italians and French and Spanish and one other American. Such a fun and open group of people. We danced and sang and sat outside, enjoying the warm weather. And then we got home at 3:30 and I skyped Sophie again (I know - its an obsession.)



Matheus and I woke up a bit late and headed to the market for fresh apricots and plums, grabbed a coffee and then stopped by Momma Roma for lunch. Truffle pizza, pancetta and mushroom pizza, and prosciutto white pizza along with a cold coke. Yum.


I'm planning on doing some research for work. Matheus is going to visit his friend's baby and then we are then meeting up with his friends again.

I'm a bit nervous about my first day at work, but I think it will be fun. And then I am going to London Thursday night :-)

xoxo



1 comment:

  1. AHHHHHH miss you and so jealous of your adventures! have fun! xx

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...