Monday, July 22, 2013

Weekend in London

So on Thursday, after a hectic journey to get on Eurostar (wrong train station, ticket wouldn't print, passport couldn't be read, then a delay), I arrived in London at around 10pm and stayed with my friend Hannah near London Bridge. 


Hannah and I met three years ago. Our mothers went to school together in Wales. Anne, Hannah's mom, was appointed my mom's tour guide when she moved from Kenya. They lost touch for years, but when I hightailed it to the UK to do my M.Sc, my mom found Hannah's parents and Hannah just happened to be in LA the week before I moved to London. We met for lunch and became friends in our own right. Hannah lives in a glorious, bright white apartment with her lovely bf, Jimmy. 


He was my tour guide on Friday. We went to Borough market and sampled the delicious English cheeses from Neals Yard and bread from St. Johns. UM. THE CHEESE. NO WORDS. MUST TRY. 





We hit up the Tate Modern for the El-Salahi exhibit after having a drink at the rooftop bar. Afterwards, we strolled through Brick Lane before I met my cousin Aniela at the Southbank Center for an al fresco beer. It was amazing seeing her after this time. Despite the fact we live thousands of miles apart, we have the Cheema sense of humor. Hopefully, we'll get to spend more time together this summer. After that, I met Hannah at her Chambers and met all of her colleagues for the 250 year anniversary/recreation of Dr. Johnson meeting Boswell. This included corsets, pigeon pie made by Hannah, and pineapples (they were trendy back then.) 

Hannah and her pigeon pie the night before the recreation
Dr. Johnson and me



After a few gin punch glasses, we headed to Chinatown for some duck and such. Saturday was a recovery day. We picked up coffee, lavender honey lip balm, more cheese, checked out reclaimed wood for Hannah's apartment, and enjoyed bloody marys in the sunshine on Maltby. They have the most amazing market with food stands, antiques, crafts, drinks, full of people of all ages and interests. We also had delicious chicken peri peri sandwiches, freshly BBQed. All of this action after such a long night meant an extended afternoon nap. 

 





After, I met Alexandra for CocoRosie at Barbican. I never thought I'd see them live. They are two strange sisters living in Paris, making music with children's toys. The last time they had an American tour, members of their band were deported and they cancelled it.

The show was crazy amazing. It seemed more like a visual art installation than a concert. The sisters have chosen more techno influences for their latest venture, including an extremely talented beatboxer. The album is now on repeat. Alexandra and I enjoyed wine and burgers after and I fell into bed, only to take another hectic terrible train back to Brussels, just in time for Alexandra and I to meet Matheus and co for National Day in Brussels (a post for tomorrow.) London was amazing as always and I am so grateful to Hannah and Jimmy for such a lovely time. xx


Oh also I got to go to my mom's old chambers, 12 King's Bench Walk, where she did her pupilage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...